Wednesday 22 February 2012

Yarn Along

Time for Wednesday Yarn Along at Small Things.


Currently dipping into Vintage Notions by Amy Barickman. I just love anything vintage and this is a gorgeous book. I love the illustrations from the 1920s.


And so many nuggets of wisdom to absorb.


Happiness needs no accessories, for it is in itself omnipotent. It takes hold in the heart, builds its nest, and brings forth its own birds to sing for you.
 Cheerfulness is much more to be desired than riches. Those who possess it have something riches cannot buy - a great possession because it creates goodwill and makes for real happiness.
I must admit to having to strive for cheerfulness sometimes - it is very easy to become frustrated with so much to do and so many in the family to care for. It seems there is always something that needs doing!

My knitting pictured above is called Colours of Joy shawl from the book Knit Prayer Shawls by Leisure Arts. There are a few patterns in here that I would like to make and it is a very affordable little book. Also spiral bound which is really handy! I am using the Jenny Cook alpaca/silk so it is really beautiful to work with.

The Pebble vest from last week is finished (well, except for the buttons!) so Cuddlepie sort of modeled it.


 I am thinking wooden buttons to finish.
And what to do with the leftover green yarn? As part of the Stash Busting Challenge, I could not simply put it back in the cupboard. So it became an I-cord for the play cord basket.

16 comments:

  1. I love the color of your shawl :) The baby vest is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I cannot wait to see the shawl as I just love the colours.

      Delete
  2. Your book looks wonderful, I love vintage too!
    Your vest looks super on your litte model.
    Happy Yarn along day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage is fabulous! And the great thing is you can so much secondhand as not everyone appreciates it like we do!

      Delete
  3. That little corner piece of shawl looks like it's going to grow into something very beautiful. Would love to see it when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely cannot see the pattern until it is blocked. It is a leaf pattern.
      I will keep progress posted.

      Delete
  4. Cuddlepie looks very cuddly in that pebble vest - I agree - wood buttons would look nice with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get really organised, I am hoping to make some wooden buttons for this - but it had better be soon or he will outgrow it!

      Delete
  5. Its crying out for wooden buttons. Gorgeous photo of your little one. I love dipping into vintage books. It's amazing what you can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is pretty gorgeous! I so love vintage books - novels, cooking, but particularly vintage knitting patterns.

      Delete
  6. Your shawl is so pretty and I love the photo of your little one in the pebble vest. So adorable! Happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I cannot wait to see it finished. You definitely cannot see the pattern properly at the moment; need to wait for blocking to see it.

      Delete
  7. Cuddlepie looks very sweet in the pebble vest and I agree that wood buttons will finish it well :-) And your shawl is beautiful, was lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love those colours - I call it my spring colours shawl. I also have the same yarn in autumn colours - not quite sure why I am knitting the spring one first!

      Delete
  8. Lovely colours on both projects, and such a cute model :) I have just finished up a shawl, just have to add some fringe. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - he is a bit of a cutie! Happy shawl knitting!

      Delete